Bed Rails for Seniors: Your Questions Answered
| Last updated
As people age, mobility often becomes a concern. Thankfully, bed rails for seniors provide security and support to prevent falls from rolling out of bed, in addition to stability for standing and sitting.
The decision to purchase any type of medical product should involve your doctor. They can work with you to find a solution that addresses your medical concerns while keeping you safe.
To help you get started learning about the options that might suit you, here are some frequently asked questions about bed rails for seniors:
This article contains affiliate links. We are compensated with a small commission, at no extra cost to you, for sales made through the links.
Are There Alternatives to Bed Rails?
Even though seniors often receive the most significant benefit from using bed rails explicitly designed for safety, alternatives exist that can also prevent slips and falls. Bed wedges can be used as a buffer if the concern is rolling off the edge of the bed, and concave mattresses and mattress covers can also be used for the same reason.
You can utilize alarms and intercom systems to communicate the need for assistance when getting in and out of bed. To be effective, these options require that aid be nearby.
Additionally, floor-to-ceiling grab bars and vertical poles can be installed next to a bed or attached to the bed frame for added support and assistance when getting into or out of bed.
What Different Types of Bed Rails Are Available?
In general, there are two types of bed rail systems used to provide security for seniors:
Are Bed Rails Safe for Seniors? Can Bed Rails Cause Injuries?
Safety is a top concern when using bed rails. For most people, features like safety straps mitigate the potential for danger. The risk of entrapment is a possibility when using bed rails for seniors. You can often overcome this risk by ensuring the rails are installed and placed correctly according to the manufacturer's instructions.
A medical professional should be involved in choosing the right bed rails to ensure that your specific medical needs are taken into consideration. Work with your doctor and medical care team to determine any risks unique to your situation and your best action plan for staying safe.
Does Medicare Cover Bed Rails?
Medicare covers durable medical equipment (DME) through Part B, the outpatient benefit. While detachable rails for conventional beds are not covered, the program does provide benefits for hospital beds when these products are medically necessary. Because many in-home hospital beds include bed rails, Medicare does provide coverage if the bed itself is covered.
Buyer's Guide: The Best Bed Rails for Seniors
The best bed rails for seniors provide safety and security while also offering customizable options to fit a variety of bed and mattress types. Modern bed rail systems offer features like:
- Adjustable height to minimize fall risks
- Stability to improve mobility around the bed
- The ability to assist seniors who have different bodyweight requirements
1. Vive Bed Rail
The 21" stabilizing bar provides added reinforcement to stand up to pressure, making this rail solution perfect for people of various weights. As a bonus, the compact size and portable design make the Vive bed rail easy to store when not in use.
- Compact design
- Integrated standing bar
- Compatible with any bed
- Non-slip rail grip
- Easy to assemble
2. Stander EZ Adjust Bed Rail
No matter what size of bed you use, the Stander EZ Adjust provides a solution. Its alloy steel construction and adjustable length mean that the Stander EZ Adjust can deliver support for beds from twin up to California king. On top of that, this bed rail solution can support up to 300 lbs.
- Compatible with thick mattresses up to 16"
- Adjustable length up to 42"
- Convenient folding design
- Includes organizer pouch
- Supports up to 300 lbs
3. Able Life Bedside Mighty Rail
Rated to handle up to 300 lbs easily, the Able Life Bedside Mighty Rail also includes a handy slip-on storage pouch to help keep track of necessities and supplies. Due to the lightweight construction and easy folding design, the Bedside Mighty Rail can also be easily stored or used while traveling.
- Fits bed sizes from twin to California king
- Compact design
- Integrated organizer pouch
- Sturdy aluminum construction
- Collapsible for portability
4. MYBOW Safety Assist Handle Bed Railing
Easy to install, the MYBOW Safety Assist is constructed using quality aluminum and iron for rugged dependability. The railing arms fit securely into protective sleeves to add extra support for extended use. No matter what size mattress you use, MYBOW has a railing option to meet your needs.
- Collapses at the press of a button
- 47" length provides added safety
- Woodgrain finish matches the look of any room
- Durable aluminum and iron construction
- Easy install for bed boards or metal frames
5. PS Medical Skil-Care Bed Rail Wedge
- Lightweight design
- Soft foam and vinyl construction
- Easy to clean and bacteriostatic
- 35.6" length for superior coverage and support
- Fills gaps to prevent entrapment
6. Colture Foldable Bed Rail
- Supports up to 330 lbs
- Adjustable handle
- Universal fit
- Tool-free installation
- Foldable design saves space
7. Eletorot Bed Rail w/Grab Bar
- High-quality steel construction
- Folding design can flex up to 90 degrees
- Supports up to 350 lbs
- Four levels of height adjustment
- Easy to store for extra space
8. Colture Wide Bed Rails
- 21" height for extra support
- Wide rail design provides more grip surface
- Durable all-metal construction
- Doubles as a standing handrail
- Universal fit
9. RMS Dual Adjustable Height Bed Assist Rail
The RMS bed rails are retractable for customizing height. They have three different handles to make getting up or down easier. Premium steel construction offers lasting durability, and you can count on RMS bed rails to help prevent falls out of bed or while standing or sitting.
- Slip-free foam keeps the rail in place for safety
- Dual rail that attaches to both sides of the bed
- Retractable rails allow you to customize the height
- Unique 3-handle design
- Premium steel construction
- Up to 58" in length
10. Yunzhiduan Bed Assist Rail
- Available in—23" & 35" lengths
- Wide steel plate for added support
- Folds with the press of a button
- Can be combined for additional length
- Fits both medium & thick mattresses
Involving your doctor before investing in bed rails is vital. Bed rails for seniors come in a variety of styles, materials, and lengths. Finding the one that meets your needs comes down to selecting a railing system that works with your existing bed or with a bed you will purchase. Additionally, using certain medical products may change insurance rates, so it's worth contacting your insurance company to discuss purchases of bed rails for seniors.
By consulting with your physician and following these guidelines, you can find an effective solution to providing security for you or a loved one. For many, bed rails for seniors are an affordable, efficient way to gain peace of mind without the expense of live-in care or other costly medical monitoring.