Finding a Loving Valentine's Day Gift for Your Elderly Mom and Dad
| Last updated
Valentine's Day is fast approaching, and nothing conveys love and appreciation for your senior parents better than a very special Valentine's Day gift. So, what are some thoughtful gift choices and activities for this love-filled holiday? Here are some gift ideas we're sure they (and you) will love.
This article contains affiliate links. We are compensated with a small commission, at no extra cost to you, for sales made through the links.
1. An Indulgent Valentine's Day Gift—A Gourmet Capalbo's Gift Basket
Nearly one hundred Capalbo's gift baskets are also available with free shipping within the U.S. Plus, with a Google customer review rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars, you can feel assured that you're sending high-quality decadence that your senior parent will love.Buy from Capalbo's
2. A Delicious Valentine's Day Gift—Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries
great cup of coffee. Buy on Amazon
3. A Valentine's Day Gift of Love—A Cuddly Teddy Bear
seniors with dementia can especially benefit from this feeling of comfort, companionship, and nostalgia. These Vermont teddies are very well made with plush "fur," adorable expressions, and recycled stuffing. They also carry a lifetime warranty. In other words, if something goes wrong, simply send the bear back to the Vermont Bear Hospital. As a result, they'll either repair it or send you a brand-new replacement bear. Buy on Amazon
4. My Life in a Book
A sentimental gift is sometimes the best gift for someone who has everything. It is not uncommon for people as they age to want to share their anthologies of memories with those closest to them. The "My Life in a Book" program gives your parent or grandparent a simple method of sharing memories via weekly interview-style question prompts. Once you've gathered enough information, you compile the stories and photographs they've shared into an attractive, professionally crafted book. Additional copies of the book are only thirty dollars, so those closest to your senior loved one can also enjoy browsing through history and reminiscing about the old days.Buy "My Life in a Book"
5. A Practical Valentine's Day Gift—A Tile Mate Bluetooth Tracker
The Tile Mate is waterproof and compatible with both iOS and Android devices. After purchase, help your parent download the Tile app and install it on their mobile phone. Be aware: the battery is not rechargeable, although the manufacturer claims it lasts up to three years. Consider accompanying the Tile Mate with a tracker cover fob by Fintie, which comes in prints and solids.Buy on Amazon
6. A Valentine's Day Gift for the Sweet Tooth—Jacques Torres Chocolates
Chef Jacques Torres began his career as a pastry chef in France. Hired by the Ritz-Carlton, he came to the U.S. and became the executive pastry chef at the legendary Manhattan restaurant, Le Cirque. In 2000, he realized his dream of opening a chocolate shop, which is still located in the small neighborhood of DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) in Brooklyn. Torres' chocolates are preservative-free and use only natural flavorings. If your senior parent loves chocolate, they deserve to try some of the finest.Buy on Amazon
7. A Living Valentine's Day Gift—A Potted Aloe Plant in a Love Container
This cute, easy-to-care-for aloe vera plant is hardy and requires little watering. Just give it some sunlight every day, and it's good to go. Aloes are good for small spaces like bookshelves, bathrooms, or even kitchens. Buyers give this little plant in a cute container high praise. Every time your loved one sees the "love" on the ceramic pot, they'll be thinking of you.Buy on Amazon
8. A Soothing Valentine's Day Gift—A Weighted Blanket
The Smart Queen blanket is the number-one best-selling weighted blanket on Amazon. The blanket is constructed with seven layers. As a result, leakage of the natural glass beads is less likely. Customers compliment the blanket's weight, comfortable warmth, and soothing properties.Buy on Amazon
9. A Valentine's Gift of Reminiscence—A Little Golden Book Knock-Off
Buy on Amazon
10. A Nostalgic Valentine's Day Gift—Frank's Friendly Service Jigsaw Puzzle
This 300-piece puzzle is printed on sturdy, recycled cardstock and randomly die cut. As a result, no piece is alike. Once complete, an 18-inch by 24-inch summer scene at a vintage filling station emerges, including men in suits and hats, ladies in their summer dresses, family pets, and even an adolescent gas jockey. Yes, back in the "good old days," you never pumped your own gas. Putting together the puzzle pieces encourages putting together those pieces of the past and the warm memories and stories that accompany them.Buy on Amazon
Valentine's Day Gifts for Mom
Mothers tend to share one characteristic: dedication and love for their children. So the best Valentine's Day gifts for Mom are the ones that come from the heart that make her feel loved and appreciated.
If you live nearby, quality time spent with you may be the best gift you could offer to your senior mother. Take her for a nice lunch date, or a side-by-side pedicure, or to a movie in a genre she loves (bringing along lots of yummy treats!).
Often, though, this in-person time or activity isn't an option for one reason or another. Often the best gift for your elderly mom is something comforting, luxurious, or thoughtful being delivered straight to her door. Here are some ideas to get you started:
1. A delivery of fresh, vibrant flowers
JustFlowers.com offers a simple way to express your affection with an impressive variety of floral creations, potted plants, and gift baskets to choose from. And if you tend to wait until the last minute to get a gift as many people do, Just Flowers has got you covered with their same-day delivery option.
And here's a fun idea: if you are looking for a way to make the flower choices even more meaningful, you could choose an arrangement containing pink carnations, which are traditionally known to represent a mother's love. Or you could find a bouquet including her "birth flower," so it feels extra personalized.
2. A gourmet tea gift setVahdam's Assorted Tea Gift Set. Beautifully packaged, the set offers six gold tea caddies in a gift box. One happy purchaser raved, "This a great gift for someone who is very special to you. The best tea I have ever tasted and smelled!" Vahdam Teas are certified organic and non-GMO verified.
If Oprah, Ellen, and Mariah Carey vouch for Vahdam teas, they must be good, right?
These varieties are included:
- Hibiscus Rush—with tones of tropical fruit and hibiscus petals
- Sweet Cinnamon Masala Chai—a strong Assam tea with cinnamon and cardamom
- Vanilla Spice Masala Chai—a house-blended Masala accented with creamy vanilla and spices
- Original Indian Masala Chai—an iconic blend of black tea, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and black pepper
- Classic English Breakfast—a perfect blend of black Assam teas that yields a red, robust brew
- Turmeric Spiced Herbal—a comforting and delicious tincture of turmeric powder, black pepper, cardamom pods, and clove
Tip: If you decide to treat Mom to gourmet loose-leaf tea, make sure she has a tea diffuser. If you're not sure and don't want to ruin the surprise, you can find one that's especially cute, silly, pretty, or otherwise suits her style. Then potentially having an extra just means she can feel even more delighted when she brews a cup!
Tea diffuser mugs are also available in many shapes, sizes, and styles that could delight your mom. You could even choose one that is beautiful but also has a special meaning, like this diffuser mug, adorned with pink roses which traditionally represent a mother's love. This would also pair nicely with some fresh, pink roses delivered straight to her door!
3. A cozy, soft cotton robe in her favorite colorPajamaGram Long Women's Cotton Robe is made with double-brushed cotton jersey that's complemented by a small amount of Spandex, which allows the robe to both flex and retain its shape. The fit is described as "generously oversized" so if your mom prefers closer-fitting clothing, sizing down may be a good idea.
These ultra-soft cotton robes are machine washable and provide the breathability a natural fabric offers. This can be especially helpful to senior women who experience hot flashes, body temperature fluctuations, and skin sensitivities. Plus, there are more than 20 colors and patterns to choose from so you can pick Mom's favorite color or theme.Buy on Amazon
Valentine's Day Gifts for Dad
Dads like to be pampered, too; they just might be a bit less likely to admit it. Giving your senior father a gift to make him feel special on Valentine's Day can delight you both. Here are some thoughtful ideas for showing Dad how much you care:
1. A heated massaging pillowBuy on Amazon
2. A durable, high-quality multitool
If you wanted to make this gift more personal, you could get the tool engraved with a message from you or with your father's initials.Buy on Amazon
Celebrate Love by Bringing Some Magic into Your Senior Parent's Day
We hope this list has piqued your interest and given you some great ideas for perfect gifts for your aging—and much-beloved—parents. Treating your mom or dad on Valentine's Day is a lovely way to show how grateful you are for them and just how much they mean to you.